Many people have this notion that it is always a better decision to take up engineering or medical rather than opting for a normal degree course in science. Let us tell you, there are certain subjects for which even a graduate degree can fetch you a lot of career options. One such degree is B.Sc. in Physics.
This undergraduate program teaches the students about different aspects of motion, matter, time, energy etc. After successful completion of this course, one can find jobs both in the government and the private sector.
Before discussing the career options, let us first know about the higher education prospects for B.Sc. (Physics) students. As we all know, higher education enhances our skills that increase the proximity of getting rewarding jobs with excellent packages. This course of bachelor of science in physics acts like a springboard after whose completion, students can go for several Master’s programs and acquire specialization. If you have an inclination towards academics, you can go for even higher degrees like M. Phil. and Ph.D.
Below are given some of the programs offered at Masters Level that students of B.Sc. in Physics can pursue.
- Applied Physics
- Applied Physics and Ballistics
- Engineering Physics
- Marine Geophysics
- Renewable Energy
- Medical Physics
Talking about employment opportunities for B.Sc. graduates in Physics, there are several areas where one can get employed. Some of them include Laboratories, Research Institutes, Educational Institutes, Hospitals, Aviation Industry, Demolition Squads, Agricultural Research Institutes, Power Generation Companies, Construction Firms, and Pyrotechnics Manufactures etc.
After completing the undergraduate program, aspirants can appear for myriad exams held by the state and central governments. One can also enter into the government sector through contractual jobs that are available for particular projects on a temporary basis.
It is interesting to note that compared to the private sector, the government sector has more opportunities and vacancies for Physics graduates. One can work in the following departments after clearing the entrance exams successfully – Union Public Service Commission, Indian Forest Services, Staff Selection Commission, State PSC, Public sector Bank, Indian Defense Services etc.
Aspiring candidates should look out for the notifications of UPSC, SSC and such other exams that are gateways for entering into various government departments. One needs to prepare for these exams with a lot of sincerity, dedication and systematic planning.
- Exams conducted by the UPSC are mainly for the civil posts such as IAS, IFS, and IPS etc. Such exams include Grade III & Compiler Exam, Combined Graduate Level Exam, and Combined Higher Secondary Exam etc.
- The jobs in the Public Sector Banking are in a lot of demand. One can start one’s career in the banking sector as a clerk, probationary officer (PO) etc. by clearing the written exam and personal interview.
- The Railway Recruitment Board also conducts several exams every year where Physics Graduates can find excellent positions to start their careers.
- One can also join the teaching sector for which post-graduation and passing the eligibility exams like NET, SET etc. are mandatory. In case one wants to work in schools, then a B. Ed degree is required.