Let’s confess that clearing 12th has been the most achieving stage of our lives & the students of today would also agree with me. So, now you are out of school life ready to step in the world of college. The more it excites, the tougher it becomes to choose the right career path. Plethora of colleges are offering a number of courses but what to choose, which course to opt for and how it will shape your career, are some question that hounds most of the students passing 12th.
We have compiled a list of course that you can opt after completion of 12th:
- Medical– Becoming a doctor is still considered to be the most preferred career path. Clearing your 12th in PCB (Physics, Chemistry ,Biology) makes you eligible to give various entrance exams that open the gateway to various medical colleges across India. The medical field further gives the option to select from: MBBS, BDS (Dental), BHMS(Homeopathy), BAMS (Ayurvedic), BUMS(Unani), Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.VSc AH), Bachelor of Naturopathy & Yogic Science (BNYS) and Bachelor of Physiotherapy.
As far as the pay package is concerned, it varies according to the degree & experience gained in the relevant field. As a fresher, you can draw up to 30,000 going as high as few lakhs per month and in certain cases like in AIIMS the doctors can fetch around few lakhs per month.
- BSc. – Bachelor of Science is another field open to 12th pass outs. This especially lures those students who have the inclination to master a specific subject & want to further go into research or teaching profession. One can do BSc in Nursing, Pharmacy, Medical Lab technology, occupational therapy, Home Science, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, paramedical courses, Biotechnology & Microbiology etc.
Salary – The salary ranges from Rs.20, 000 to around I lakh & above per month.
- Engineering – If you have cleared your 12th with Physics, Chemistry & Maths as core subjects then you can try you hands-on engineering, architecture, BCA & BSc. As an engineer, you have options of selecting from different streams like civil, mechanical, CS, electronics etc. For Architecture passouts, there are various architectural firms ready to take in fresh minds.
Coming to the salary portion, here is the snapshot at the average salary drawn by an engineer:
- Software engineer – Rs.395,178 per year
- Mechanical Engineer- Rs.602,441 per year
- Computer Engineer – Rs.352,763 per year
- Electrical Engineer – Rs. 347,459 per year
- Electronics Engineer – Rs. 305,680 per year
- Instrumentation Engineer – Rs.394,990 per year
- Chemical Engineer – Rs. 477,180 per year
The figures are subject to change depending on the experience & company. On an average, an architect in India draws around Rs 368,390 per year which is expected to increase as per the experience.
- Arts – Lately, this field has gained acceptance & appreciation from industry; psychology, sociology , mass communication, journalism, fine arts, filmmaking, fashion designing and hotel management are few of the courses that give you great job opportunities in future. Salary, which is the major concern, can begin with around 20,000 or more per month to few lakhs depending on the company & job profile.
- Commerce – BCom. CA, CS, LLB etc. are the area that interests the students of commerce. There is a huge demand for CAs, Company Secretaries & lawyers in every firm. From the management of small financial bookkeeping to business analysis & forecasting. CAs & CS plays a very important role in managing this aspect of business. Lawyers, on the other hand, play a key role in the registration of firms, managing labor laws etc.
Salary structure of CA’s & CS’s varies from firm to firm, you can begin with 20,000 plus as commerce graduate to a salary of more than 40,000 per month as you complete you CA. The salary goes on a higher scale as your experience increases.
Think before you leap
Crossing the step of class 12th makes you stand at the tipping position where you need to lay the foundation stone of your future. Choose wisely; don’t get drifted away with what people are saying. There is a lot more in the world to do. The upsurge of new fields like AME, Defence, Pilots, not only offers you a good job & lucrative salary but is also setting examples that one can form career beyond the traditional field of doctor and engineer.